How Healthy Is Your Heart?
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) has been the highest cause of death in the United States for both men and women and affects 81 million American adults. This year, more than 920,000 Americans will have a heart attack, nearly half of them will occur without prior symptoms or warning signs. Half of the victims of sudden cardiac death are under the age of 65.
Your circulatory system is responsible for keeping every part of your body supplied with essential building blocks, oxygen, proteins, hormones, and many other compounds necessary for proper function. When damage or disease impairs the function of the vascular structure, waste products like urea can build up and damage organs or muscles. Detecting vascular disease, injury, and congenital complications can help you resolve serious health concerns or manage chronic conditions. Exploratory surgery and the insertion of tiny cameras were once the only options for investigating vein and artery issues. However, Olathe Chiropractic offers numerous non-invasive vascular testing options to help you discover hidden problems without the challenges of surgery.
Non-Invasive Vascular Testing Featuring Max Pulse
Although most of your major arteries are located deep within the body, modern imaging tools allow us to spot blood vessel diseases and other issues. Max Pulse is an FDA, Class II medical device that takes only 3 minutes to determine your level of CVD risk. Through the use of a simple, non-invasive, painless finger probe, the Max Pulse measures pulse waveform and heart rate to determine the following cardiovascular and autonomic nervous system factors:
THE TEST ANALYZES:
- Heart Rate Variability (HRV) – Determines one’s overall health status and autonomic nerve system. “Meta-analyses of published data demonstrate that reduced cardiovascular autonomic function, as measured by heart rate variability, is strongly associated with an increased risk of silent myocardial ischemia (lack of oxygen to the heart w/o symptoms) and mortality.”
- Differential Pulse Wave Index (DPI) – Overall cardiovascular health.
- Eccentric Constriction (EC) – Constriction power of vessels from the left ventricle.
- Arterial Elasticity (AE) – Overall elasticity of large, small and peripheral arteries (arterial stiffness).
- Remaining Blood Volume (RBV) – Remaining blood in the vessels after systolic contraction of the heart.
- Wave Type – Aging vascular health indicator.
- Mean Heart Rate – Average beats per minute or heart rate.
- Arteriosclerosis Progress – 7 pictorial wave types showing typical artery status.
- Stress Score – Overall stress health compared to resistance levels.
- Stress Levels – Mental stress, physical stress, and resistance to stress. Changes in pressure, velocity, blood volume, and other indices.
Why Do I Need Vascular Testing?
Patients who already have a diagnosis for illnesses like peripheral artery disease and renal artery disease need to monitor their system with tests on a regular basis. Non-invasive options from our Olathe team is the easiest and least painful way to stay updated on your health. Catching the worsening of the vascular disease early will help you prevent irreversible damage by adjusting your treatment routine. If you consider yourself perfectly healthy, you may still have plaque deposits or cholesterol silently building up in your major arteries. A vascular test is the best way to rule out these circulatory system concerns, especially as you age. Our team will customize courses of therapy for those patients who are at risk based on their initial readings, and follow up with additional screenings by using the Max Pulse to track progress. It is a great tool for monitoring the “before and after” effects of changes in diet and lifestyle on these systems.
What Symptoms Indicate I Need Testing?
For patients without existing conditions, there are many symptoms that could indicate a hidden circulatory issue. Unfortunately, most of these symptoms are also linked to dozens of other diseases and disorders. Seeking out non-invasive vascular testing could help you quickly rule out the possibility of deep vein thrombosis or other life threatening problems. Visit us as quickly as possible if you are experiencing:
- Speech difficulties or a continuous feeling of a lump in throat
- Pain and tightness in the chest, arms, or throat
- Inflammation in the calves, ankles and feet
- Ulcers on the legs and feet that won’t heal
- Color changes in the extremities
- Numbness and tingling in the feet and hands
- Cold extremities that won’t warm up
- Mild swelling, especially at the tips of the fingers and toes
If any of these symptoms appear and will not pass within a half hour, you should seek emergency medical attention. However, many of our patients experience short episodes with one or more of these symptoms on a daily basis because their blood flow is restricted.
Call Olathe Chiropractic now for a FREE Consultation, (913) 732-0087, or simply contact us by clicking here.